NCAA/NAIA RULES Q & A
Q: Is there a limit to the number of current college players who may compete on a WPSL team?
- Division 1 – Five (5) from any one institution (not including graduating seniors and incoming freshman)
- Division II & III – no limit
- NAIA – no limit
Q: Can WPSL teams compete against college teams?
- Division I – Yes, but no high school players may participate
- Division II – Yes, as long as team is ongoing not just established for the competition
Q: When can players try-out/compete with WPSL teams?
- Division I – not before May 1st
- Division II – at the conclusion of their spring semester
Q: Can College Coaches be involved in WPSL teams?
- NCAA – Yes, but none of their current college players may play on that team
- NAIA – Yes and their players can play for them but there must be other players on the team
Q: Can players practice/play during winter break?
- Yes (but college coach should be informed)
Other notes –
Be sure you don’t call yourself Professional or Semi-Professional if you plan to have college players participate.
In NAIA know that players who did not play that school year (12 months) can be charged with a year of eligibility if they play for you that summer.
Schools can have policies regarding using players’ likeness so only use photos of those players in your uniform not their schools.
NCAA SOCCER RULES EXCERTS